Monday, June 9, 2008

And Ukraine?

Oh yeah! I was supposed to be telling you about life here. Hmm, where to start?

"At the beginning" I hear you say. Ok.

I stepped of the British Airways Airbus A300 at Kiev's, Borispol airport and.....

...but really, I remember the customs officer in the airport. I should have taken more notice then but I thought it was funny at the time. We decided to risk going through the green channel as to be honest we had brought too much of the sort of things we were not supposed to bring, a lot of dvd's, expensive perfume as gifts for friends, and other stuff which we were trying to "get away with". So, there we are trundling through the green channel with a mountian of cases and a tired looking customs officer approached us. My first thoughts were that we were in to lose a lot of stuff here and I wasn't looking forward to it. He spoke briefly to Natlaya (my partner) and they talked for a while, then he burst out laughing and waved us through. I was perplexed by this until Natalya explained that she told him where I had come from and that I had come to live in Ukraine, at which point he had burst out laughing and said "good luck to him" and waved us through...

...my first real "experience" was the jouney from the capital Kiev to Chernovtsy, the nearest city to where my girlfriend's parents live. Boy what a way to start, talk about in at the deep end...

No comments: