Monday, June 9, 2008

Trains.

Probably the best thing about transport in Ukraine.

My first experience of trains (or any form of public transport in Ukraine) was the jurney from Kiev to Chernovtsy. We had rushed across the city in a taxi to the main railway station and found that a train was leaving in 30 minutes. the next one wasn't for 8 hours. So my partner rushed up to the cash desk and brought the only tickets left. The Common Carriage.

Ok, imagine a large sleeper carriage made for about 50 people. Then jam in about 130. Old women with enormous bags and small goats (honestly, there was this really old woman, probably about 300 years old with two enormous bags and two small goats), drunk old men passed out on the floor, families with 10 children spread all over the place with a pile of bags, ...and me!!
I squeezed myself into a corner somewhere and half fell asleep, frequently woken by the noise and smells. To be honest I don't (thankfully) remember much of the journey. We left Kiev about 6pm and arrived in Khmelnitskiy at 4am. From there we had a 4 hour coach journey from there to Chernovtsiy. Coach journey I thought. Cant be bad, at this time in the morning it should be quite peaceful.
WRONG!!!!!!!!

No comments: