Monday, June 9, 2008

So, where are you now?

Hmm. We are living in a small house outside the main city. We have a small piece of land with the house which is very good for growing things.
Me! I am a city boy. Never dug a garden in my life, and it shows. Our garden has five trees, apples, apricots, two cherry trees and walnuts. Cool! But the garden was a mass of tangled weeds that had not been dug for three years and in most places was a metre high with weeds. We soon discovered a patch of strangled strawberry plants and I cleared these. Meanwhile we got some local help from our church and a couple of young guys came over one saturday and helped us dig. Since then we have planted a whole variety of stuff. Or rather my partner has (thanks Natalya). She was raised on a farm in a village in Ukraine and has been planting most of her life. She has an incredible knowledge of trees and plants and can recognise things that I have seen all my life and never knew what they were. I tried to dig stuff, but after digging half a row of holes for potatoes and being laughed at lots I gave up in frustration, my efforts since then have been limited to basic digging, something even I can't mess up. So now we have rows of potatoes now, raddishes, beetroot, various herbs including parsley, mint and dill and a couple of rows of flowers.
The strawberries were an instant success and I think that we must have had about 10Kg of strawberries. Awesome!
We dont' have running water in the house but there is a stand pipe with a tap in the garden and the toilet is outside and at the end of the yard (don't ask). So, all the water gets pre-boiled before use and the toilet... well... I said don't ask!
The journey to work is a 40 minute ride on something called a marshrutka...

No comments: