Monday, June 9, 2008

So how is it in Ukraine?

Wow! A question that wont be easy to answer. I suppose I have to be fairly nice as the guys here will string me up from the nearest post otherwise. :)

Ukraine is, for me, well.... "interesting".... It's certainly given me a lot of experiences, from the state of the transport system, to the incredibly beautiful women here, to the amazingly incompetent and complex government systems. The whole experience has been eye opening, headache giving, blood pressure rising and although it's tough for me here it is something I wouldn't miss for the world. Having come from "the decadent west" (that's England for those that don't know me) in August 2007, my initial impression was one of a country staggering into democracy, rebuilding and renewing itself after the mess that the collapse of the soviet union left it in. I was very optimistic about my future here and was quite open minded, despite my wife's misgivings and warnings about how tough (I shan't use her exact words as I would have to turn on the explicit content warning) life was going to be.

I came from Birmingham, England. A large well developed city with all the "normal" conveniences. running hot and cold water, good service supplies (gas and electricity), an excellent infrastructure and good local services with hospitable people and a good police service.

No comments: